Returning to work after maternity leave or even several years away from the workplace typically means having to find childcare. With so many different options to choose from, however, just what can parents do to ensure that their chosen childcare provider can offer good-quality care facilities and guarantee their child’s safety?
Here are a few tips to bear in mind when investigating your options:
- Check with the day care centers to ensure that they can fit in with your planned working hours and offer some degree of flexibility if, for example, you are running late.
- Consider what kinds of qualities would fit your child’s personality
- Talk to friends and family members about their childcare providers and always aim to get personal recommendations for any options that you consider.
- Always visit the daycare centers or childcare centers that you are considering, to get a feel for the atmosphere and routine.
- Check the indoor and outdoor space available to the children, to make sure that it is adequate and safe.
- Check out the facilities and the equipment provided for the children, to ensure that these meet high standards.
- Find out the types of activities the facility offers.
- Ask about the safety and security procedures and precautions.
- Ask to see the childcare provider’s formal inspection reports.